Ammonia levels?

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
ummm, from my understanding, no. there should be no ammonia in your tank. If there is ammonia in the tank, it isn't finished cycling, or you have excess waste and need to clean the tank - but, if i remember correctly, you just set this tank up, so the excess waste is probably not it. how long have you had the tank up and running?

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
Hmmmmm I thought that.......

Im doing daily small water changes. Its a bowl with no filter.

Cant say its food as I feed him feck all.

Do I just keep doing water changes???

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
No, all the levels should be 0 excet for Nitrate with low levels. Is there a filter in the tank? If not you need to do a full water change at LEAST twice a month, once a week is prefered. You can put in some Stress Zyme that does help keep Fishy's (when I fish sit for my sister's co worker) 1 gallon tank clean. If you have a filter, try a 30% water change and clean the gravel.

Stevie

Large Fish
Apr 2, 2005
Sunny Ireland.
sweetvegan74 said:
No, all the levels should be 0 excet for Nitrate with low levels. Is there a filter in the tank? If not you need to do a full water change at LEAST twice a month, once a week is prefered. You can put in some Stress Zyme that does help keep Fishy's (when I fish sit for my sister's co worker) 1 gallon tank clean. If you have a filter, try a 30% water change and clean the gravel.

No filter.
I change bout 2 cup fulls of water every day or second day.*thumbsups

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Come on guys ease up. The bowl buddys is used to detoxifies chlorine. The ammo lock works too. But really one of the reasons bettas live fairly long lives in non filter bowls is they do not seem to be fazed at all by ammonia. nitrite is more dangerous to the common veil than ammonia.

Ammonia in a betta bowl is nothing new, doing 100% weekly water changes will keep nitrite from forming and your guy should be A OK.