Ammonia levels

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
When cycling a tank, is it normal for the ammonia levels to remain high (about 6.0) for over three weeks with regular partial water changes, while the nitrite begins to rise?

Jul 22, 2006
How many fishes do you have? Do you have proper filtration? Please give us specific details. Try doing a 50% water change every day for a few days, that should help bring down the Ammonia.

If you added too many fishes at the same time, at once, in a new cycling tank, there is no good bacterias established yet to convert Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate. It takes time for the tank to be established, so I advise only adding very few fishes for cycle or do a fishless cycle. Cycling with a fish will establish your tank faster, but you do not need too many fishes at the same time. So, do constant water changes to keep the water conditions in check until the cycle has completed.

Thunder

Last edited:

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
When cycling with fish, you should do PWC's to keep your ammonia levels below .5ppm. This is a must for the health of your fish. Also, this will not slow your cycle down. If you have an ammonia reading, that means you have more ammonia than the bacteria can process, and they have to colonize to catch up. Too high of ammonia can also stall your cycle, and make it even longer. So my recommendation is 50% PWC's until you get your levels down below .5ppm, and then try and maintain that level til the cycle is complete.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I have a Question. I started my 29G tank about 2 weeks ago. I have noticed the ammonia but havent seen any nitrite ot nitrate. I dont think that my tank has "cycled" yet. I have about 30 small guppies that are doing well I think I have about 10 fry in there now. My ammonia has stayed about .5ppm, Kinda high I know. I have done 50 % PWC about every three days. I dont know what else to do. I am waiting to add my bro's Angel fish till I know it is safe to add him. Any help is appericated.

MAHA

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
Just keep the levels under .5ppm. If they are starting to peak above .5ppm, do a PWC. If you want something to help the cycle, try Stress Zyme. I used it successfully in my 29G. It's not instant like Bio Spira, but helps get things moving.

Angelfish + Guppies = Angel Food Cake for the Angels.

Last edited:

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
yess stress zyme did seem to help my cycle a little bit but i hear bio spira is the best... also dont do what i did and not do a water change for a week cuz u dont know where ur bucket is and loose all but ur hardiest fish and then find out ur tank has FINALLY finished cycling >.>

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Yes I know

Lonewolfblue said:
Just keep the levels under .5ppm. If they are starting to peak above .5ppm, do a PWC. If you want something to help the cycle, try Stress Zyme. I used it successfully in my 29G. It's not instant like Bio Spira, but helps get things moving.

Angelfish + Guppies = Angel Food Cake for the Angels.

Thanks for the info but I know that the angel will eat them. I bought them as food but couldnt get the ammonia to a level that I like it to add the angel that is about as big as my hand with fins. I have stress zyme I have used it but to me it seams that the "Cycle" hasnt started. I still have no levels of nitrate or nitrite. I guess all I need now is time. I will keep you updated.

MAHA

Jul 22, 2006
Mahamotorworks said:
Thanks for the info but I know that the angel will eat them. I bought them as food but couldnt get the ammonia to a level that I like it to add the angel that is about as big as my hand with fins. I have stress zyme I have used it but to me it seams that the "Cycle" hasnt started. I still have no levels of nitrate or nitrite. I guess all I need now is time. I will keep you updated.

MAHA

YOU BOUGHT GUPPIES AS FOOD?!?!?!?!? Thats so wrong! I've never heard of people buying Guppies as Feeders! There are other fishes that costs 15 cents each (HellMart), buy them, not the Guppies.

Thunder

Chris89

Medium Fish
Aug 5, 2006
Fort Lauderdale
THUNDER said:
YOU BOUGHT GUPPIES AS FOOD?!?!?!?!? Thats so wrong! I've never heard of people buying Guppies as Feeders! There are other fishes that costs 15 cents each (HellMart), buy them, not the Guppies.

Thunder
The majority of people who come into PetSupermarket for live food get guppies, and you can usually get about 10 feeders for a dollar.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Back to the question

THUNDER said:

Thunder
Yes feeder guppies :D nothing fancy or out of the ordinary about them. I got close to 50 of them for about $2.00. as for the fish from Hell Mart (I think you are refering to Wal-mart.) I would not put anything in to my tank from there. I have seen more neglect, desiase, and DEAD fish in their tanks then any where else.

Back to my question I dont think that my "Cycle" has started. I am using Stress Zyme to help but ammonia levels are still rising with no sign of Nitrites ar Nitrates. I have looked for Bio-spera sp? but no one has an Idea what I am talking about but other customers and they are looking for it too. Any thing I can do to help start the cycle?

Also I am starting to notice some floaties in my tank, I think they are left over shrimp pelets that my younger bro keep feeding them when I have asked him to stop. They look like floating mold. Everytime I see them I net them out. Now that I am noticing more of them I am doing a PWC Later today.

Thanks

MAHA

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2006
HellMart sells Guppies at least 2 buxs each. PetsMart is expensive as well.

I will buy fishies from the HellMart that I work at, because their tanks is very clean and well taken care of.

Thunder