Ammonia Levels

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
Hey guys, I have just done my ammonia test and it is up at 1.0 this is the highest reading i have had since having the tank up and running. Have added 3 male guppies to the tank not sure if that will be what is making the difference. Don't want to make the wee guys sick *SICK* can anyone tell me what i can do or do i just sit and wait????

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
a water change wouldn't hurt. Their are also ammonia and nitrIte detoxifiers that you can use. I've got one from Seachum called Prime. works fairly well IME.

im sure the ammonia spike is from the new fish, you will probably have a nitrIte spike as well.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I agree that the spike is probably from the new fish. How long has this tank been set up? How long ago did you put the new fish in? You could do a water change, or just keep an eye on it and do a water change if the level goes up much higher. The danios will be fine, neons might not appreciate the spike.

I'd do a water change before I messed with any products that claim to detoxify anything. Although, Prime is a common water conditioner if that happens to be what you use maybe do a double dose at your next water change.

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
really, any ammonia is too much. It can permanently damage the fishes gills.

Personally, I would do a water change if you tests start to show readings of 1.0 ppm or more...

I would just plan on doing 10-20% water changes until you see ammonia levels drop to 0

sclabman

Large Fish
Jan 21, 2007
L.A.
i make sure all my tanks have zero ammonia... if it shows any i quickly do a water change and test again and so on until there's no more. The fish don't like it at all (ammonia)

Balance

Large Fish
Jul 16, 2003
Aurora, IL
www.myspace.com
mrmoog, you might want to test your tap water for ammonia as well. in my area, i have about 0.25 ammonia in my tap water....

if you are establishing a new tank, that 0.25 can make a huge difference. in my established tanks, its not a real issue. but in the 2 tanks I just setup, I was treating the water for ammonia, as wella s chlorine/chloramine, before adding it to the tank.

I think ive been using a Top Fin product (its worked pretty well so far) to treat the water beforehand

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
1ppm of ammonia really isn't that much. A healthy tank that has a reasonable level of stocking will have 0 ammonia because the nitrogen cycle will be constantly converting that ammonia to less toxic substances.

Did another water change change the level? Assuming that your tank was fully cycled before you added those guppies, then I'd expect the ammonia to go away in less than a week. If it stays at one I think we probably have another issue (like someone mentioned the tap water, or a whonky test kit or a detoxifying thing you use that is giving you a false positive...something)

Edit: You posted while I was typing. Cycle is NOT worth the money, do not listen to pet store employees. The reason you get a spike when you add new fish IS because your bacteria is trying to catch up with the new added bioload. I'd just keep an eye on the level, if it gets over 1ppm then do a water change, and otherwise just wait it out.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Prime won't actually reduce the amount of ammonia, it detoxifies it. Your test kit would still read that there is ammonia there, its just a different form that is not as bad for your fish.

I'm surprised your level is still elevated though. Did you do another water change? Have you tested your tap water?