Ammonia reading always 1.0

Mar 14, 2010
Austin, TX
New tank set up in January - about 8 weeks old. I think it's made it through the entire cycling process as I have a little algae growth now. Nitrites are at 0; Nitrates between 20 and 40; pH at 7.6; but my Ammonia level is consistently at 1.0. I did 25-30% water changes two to three times per week for the first few weeks. When the Ammonia went up to 1 ppm I did a 50% water change and am doing 30% changes once a week now. Have even used "Ammonia Lock" to no avail. Even after water changes the readings are consistently at 1.0.

No obvious signs of distress from my 2" Oranda. He eats well and has normal dark poop. I have been feeding him Medi-Gold pellet food (5 small pellets - about an eyeball's worth) twice daily to combat a bacterial infection he had when I purchased him. Will switch him to regular Pro-Gold pellets in the next week.

Is it possible that my test chemicals are giving a wrong reading? Do they ever go bad?

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2009
The instructions show it reads total ammonia.

When you use a product like 'Ammonia Lock' it changes the ammonia from a toxic to a non-toxic form. The ammonia is still there however. That is why the test kit shows it.

Do water changes to keep your nitrates at 20 or less and make sure nitrite stays zero and you should be ok.

The fact that you keep showing ammonia that needs detoxified indicates your bioload is more than the biofilter can handle. Goldfish are very high output as far as waste goes. You might need to do more volume with each water change or water changes more often, or both.

Mar 14, 2010
Austin, TX
Here's an update on my ammonia readings. I kept doing water changes and testing the water parameters. Even after 95% water changes the levels were at 1.0 or higher. Eventually the reading got to 8.0. The funny thing was that Masashi was looking better than he ever has.

Today I went to my favorite LFS to talk with them about the issue. They asked what brand of test kit I was using, and I told them API. They immediately confimed that often the API master test kits give erradic or false readings and recommended the Tetratest kit to me (which by the way was almost $20 less expensive than the API kit).

Came home and tested and voila! Ammonia reading was at 0.

Anyway, the LFS owner also mentioned that the Tetra kit should last for about 8 months or so but after that point the chemicals will also go bad. Hope this is helpful for anyone else having crazy readings even after water changes.

Mar 14, 2010
Austin, TX
O.k. Glad you have not had any problems - I'm just reporting what the AquaTek guys, one has a Masters in Limnology - study of freshwater systems/ecosystems - all of whom have many years experience working with salt and freshwater tanks, told me.