Ammonia Spike

Jimiqb1

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2007
Hi guy's,

Need some advice.

All of a sudden my ammonia levels have risen to 4ppm.

The only two things I can put this down to is when I did my weekly 10%/15% water change I did about 50% and I changed my Tetratec EasyCrystal Cartridge, which has been in for 6 weeks.

I'm worried about my fellas at the min. Tails, (X-Ray tetra) has died and Megatron, (Molly.... Dont ask) is lying at the bottom. The other guys seem fine though.

So, Ive done another water change and as per usual used Aqua Safe to treat the tap water.

My gut feeling is that it was the filter change? However not 100% sure.

I'm going to change water daily till the issue has been resolved, however does anyone have any information or advice that could be of some help or has anyone experienced this?

Cheers

James

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Yep... it was the filter change.

The bacteria that consume the ammonia in your tank were all living on that sponge.

When the filter needs cleaning, swish the filter pad around in the tank water you've removed from the tank. Don't use tap water or the chlorine will kill the bacteria. Really the pad should never need to be changed unless it's really falling apart.

~JW

Jimiqb1

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2007
Hi JW,

Thought so from reading up on it. The Manufacture recommends to change the refill filter cartridge every 4/6 weeks. NOT A GOOD MOVE ON MY PART.

What to you recommend? keep up with the 10%/15% water changes daily till the ammonia levels have fallen?

James

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I would say 50% until ammonia levels are back to zero would be best as it will get it out of the water as quickly as possible, while not putting your fish in too much stress. With that much water at a time just be sure the new water is close to the temp of the tank water.

Jimiqb1

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2007
Thanks for the reply Orion. I'm a bit confused as the manufacture recommends to replace the filter every 4/6 weeks, so when I do this the same will happen again wont it.

James

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
yep, its too bad that the manufacturers only care about money eh?

Like Jwright said, you don't need to change that cartridge. Do a search on the boards for this as we've had this discussion in depth quite a bit. If you think it is getting gunky and restricting water flow, then you should rinse it in dechlorinated water and get some of the gunk off....and then put it back in the tank.

Jimiqb1

Small Fish
Aug 5, 2007
Thanks for the reply FroggyFox, I'm just glad I spotted it straight away.

My Molly I spoke about is looking ok this morning, so I've just done a 25%/40% water change because he looks like he will cope and will see what the condition of the water is like tonight.