Ammonia test

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
I tested my water I found my phosphates were high so I added Seachem PhosGuard in a nylon bag and placed in the sump. I also recently added some (supposedly) fully cured fiji live rock to my aquarium. At the time I added the rock my ammonia was 0 and nitrites were 0.

I assumed I would have a small spike so a couple days later I tested the water. But when I did the ammonia test (instant ocean test kit) the ammonia test came out blue like the color for the forum tab. This ammonia test has different shades of green so I have no idea if the reading is so high that it turned blue or could the PhosGuard possibly be altering the color reading?

I did a 25% water change and added some Ammo Lock just in case and figured I'd try another reading in a day. Anyone have any experience with blue color ammonia readings for this test kit by chance?

SaltyDude

Small Fish
Jan 21, 2008
Houston
www.crowleysigns.com
i have the same kit i think and i have never seen it go blue off the chart... lol

but i also just added 25 lbs. of " Supposibly Cured " live rock to my tank. and i got a spike of 0.8 and i was able to just now 2 days later get it to drop 2 pts...

hope that helps some...

Price

Small Fish
Jan 22, 2008
It actually does help, I added just over 90 pounds so if you did 25 and got a .8 spike I guess mine would be off the charts. I am curious if anyone would recomend continued water changes each day (I assume that would prolong the cycle) or leave it as is and let it naturally make the cycle coarse? Nitrites are rising (.4 today) so I assume the ammonia should be comming down soon.....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Do you have fish in the tank with the live rock? If there are no fish, just let the ammonia spike then drop.

If there are fish, keep up with water changes and Ammolock. The Ammolock will detoxify the ammonia, but it may still show up on the test kits.