Ammonia up, why?

raseii

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Hi,
I did the whole cycling thing which was doing really good. Then I did a 25% water change and washed the filter media in tank water on friday for both of my tanks which are a 50g and 55g and when I tested today the water was:
ammonia 0.25
nitrite 0
nitrite 20-30
And this was on both of my tanks.

I dont understand why my ammonia is up. What factors could raise ammonia?

raseii

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Me again. I wanted to ask another question. Is it possible to have such a light bio-load in your tank which would cause the ammonia to not convert to nitrite? In my 55, I have 3 mickey mouse platy's, 4 yo yo loaches, 3 tetras and 2 cory's. I want to ad more but am afraid if the ammonia is 0.25. even after the water changes. Any suggestions about what might be going on would be great!

Thanks again

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I wouldn't add any more fish until the ammonia and nitrite are at zero. Washing filter media in tapwater on a new tank can cause an ammonia spike. It's best to use either old tank water or dechlorinated water to rinse your filters.

Keep an eye on the ammonia, it could just be a small spike that goes away after a day or two.

Ram man, he already said what size tank and what fish :)

raseii

Small Fish
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks guys. I washed the filter media in old tank water. It was kind of gunked up so it may have been possible that I scrubbed it a little too hard. But someone told me as long as you have that bio-wheel on there, that is where most of the bacteria live and you would be able to wash your media (even spray it with tap water, but I wouldnt do that). Isnt that the purpose of the bio-wheel or not? I will check again in a few days. I am new to fish keeping, so I guess I will learn as I go.
Thanks again