Ammonia with surfactants

borracho

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2009
So, the only ammonia I was able to find was this one with 3 ingredients: water, ammonia, and surfactants. I might try Home Depot tomorrow, but this is kind of ridiculous just trying to gather things I need for a 10-gallon fish tank I'm trying to set up.. I'm reading on this forum that ammonia with surfactants won't work with fishless cyclying. Is there no way I can use this ammonia? The ammonia does get foam when I shake it. Some people on the internet are saying that it's OK to use.. Anybody have any experience with using ammonia with surfactants? Thanks!

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Try ACE Hardware if you have one near you, if not try another hardware store. The surfectants are cleaning solutions and will poison your fish, you can't use anything but pure ammonia.

borracho

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2009
I accidentally stumbled onto ACE Hardware store (never been to one or seen one before) on my way back from Petco.. great! I found what I was looking for, and the fishless cycling process is on the way. This stuff smells really strong, btw.

One more question though: If I turn off the heater for the 10-gallon tank, what would be the equilibrium temperature? Will it be around room temp? I read that tetras need around 75F.. Will the water go below 75F-ish without a heater? I live in San Diego, and it never gets too cold or too hot outside.. I wonder how this affects the water temp in the tank.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You always need a heater in a tropical tank, it keeps the tank stable. Even in the warmest climates water temperature can fluctuate way too much to keep the fish healthy and happy.