amonia

I just started a 55 gal. saltwater tank about 10 days ago, and the amonia level is very high. So I was wondering what I should do? I have 45 pounds of live Fiji rock and 2 penguin filters, is it nesscesary to have a protien skimmer? And during the cycling phase how long do you give light for?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
it is VERY necessary to have a protein skimmer, it is very differerent than fresh water, light depends for the first 2-3 days i usually dont give any light at all then gradually work up to regular amount of time

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
A protein skimmer is vital for a marine tank. I recommend you purchase one as soon as you can. Do you have any fish? Is your live rock cured? If your rock is cured and you have a few fish it should take a few days to weeks. If you have no fish and your rock is not cured then it should take a week to a few weeks.

You should have your light on for maybe 10 hours a day.

Sam Reef

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
there will be ammonia present whether the rock is cured or uncured---some of it will die off anyway
without a protein skimmer u r pretty much hopeless---also, any fish in the tank may be in danger
i'm nowhere near being an expert, and i hate to contradict s.reef because i've received much information from him/her (sorry :()---i've read to have the light on only when u r checking the progress of the curing process to prevent algae and diatom blooms

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
See...it was the opposite for me when I was curing my rock. There was alot of slime algae growing on them. As soon as I turned on the light, it went away. Just telling my own experience.

Sam Reef