Anemone in my tank?

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
ok guys, i just got some free lighting. seems to be some retro fit junk, but its still free...

marine-glo 40w
power glo 40w

one is super white, the other is blue. not sure what the balest are. they are 48" long, but my tank is 36... i guess i have to get 36" bulbs. but my real question, will this be enough for an Anemone? the tank is shallow to where the rocks are. also, is it expensive to run 14 hours a day? about how much a month is 80W? i guess its like a bright regular light bulb.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
powerglo is like 18000k..marineglo is a pseudo actinic. Altough everything looks cute but not powerfull / good spectrum for inverts..
on the 80 w you can only count 40w of the powerglo...and it's the consumption it uses.
I wouldn't keep an anemone with my 150w hqi metal halide 'cause i think it's not enough

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
I agree, this is pretty weak lighting, and nothing like enough for a photosynthetic anemonae - even though it will be feeding on solids as well, it wil slowly lose colour and die under those lights. Also the very blue lights (above 12K ) tend to burn out and drop output pretty quickly so they're likely knackered if they're more than 3 months old.
How much does it cost to run 80 watts - how much do you pay per watt? Likely not much, less than you think, but you should still know how much you pay per watt else you've likely not got a good power deal.