Anemone question?

Apr 11, 2006
I went to the beach today and saw some green anemone near the shore of the beach. The beach I went to is in Monteray, CA. The anemone looks smiliar to the ones that is in the movie finding Nemo but instead its light green, they look pretty nice actually. I was about to take one home but I did know if it is reef compatible or will survive in captivity. Do you guys ever seen any of these aneone or know if they will survive in captivity?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would guess it's not going to do so well. It might be able, if it's a rock pool creature, be able to handle reef temps for a little while, but not continually.

I wouldn't. Also beware it will be a prety voracious fish eater if it has any size.

Apr 11, 2006
saltwater84 said:
yea, it looks similiar or like that. Does those live near the shore? Rocky place? If it is, then it must be the same specie. Do they survive in captivity or are they reef compatible??

Oh, by the way, do you guys know if the sand from the ocean near the shore will also be considered live sand for reef tank? if so, next time I go to the ocean I would just go and get some.

Apr 11, 2006
yea, it is a rock pool type, the biggest one I saw is about the size of my right hand. One of them got seashells stuck all over its bottom and it stung my finger when I reached down and touch it. I dunno, maybe I won't get one, not take the risk that it might contaimate my tank, but it is surely beautiful. Also, do you guys think it might carry pest or diease of any type that may harm an aquarium inhibtants? I have never seen anything like this in the lps.