Anemone question

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
Have a large Condylactis ( 5 months) very healthy, eats regulary, but latley some of its tentacles have been looking like they have been twisted at a point near the tips, and like they may even fall off. Is it normal for these species to drop off tips and regrow? Or is this a health concern?

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
using 36" current outer orbit with dual compact flourescents 2 white and 2 atinic all are 95 watts each. also have a 72" regular flour. strip in back @ 48 watts. The condy is right under the dual compacts.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Is that the one with the 150watt HQI medal halide?

If not then that is not much lighting on a 125 and could be your issue.

Also check your water perameters to see if anything is out of wack

They do not drop off tips and reproduce... this is a possible sign of ill health or malnutrition.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
well since condis dont require as much light as most other anems i would have to guess its got something to do with your params... i say guess cause without testing thats all we can do :p GO TEST YOUR WATER!! lol

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The shrimp are not eating the anemone per se. They are scavengers and are eating decaying dead parts......cleaning it up, this is their main reason to be in your tank.....

Kenster

Small Fish
Sep 27, 2007
Well its been a month or so since posting my Condy dilema with the camel back shrimp...Lorna hats off to you...you were correct that the shrimp were only "cleaning up" the dead tissue. My lfs ( who knows I run two large skimmers) said he thought I was skimming out too much trace elements and gave nme some supplements. within 2 days he was looking better. The shrimp havn't gone near him since. I am trying to figure out how to insert pics...hopefully it works and you can see how good he looks now.
P.S. the camelback shrimp thank you because now they can stay :)

Attachments

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Although it IS possible to overskim a reef it is ulikely that this was the cause of the problem as anemones get nourishment from their light source and from feeding largish meaty substances infrequently ( I say that as some will tend to overfeed them) I would hazard that there was something else out of kilter with the parameters and hopefully you have resolved the issue. You need to test your water and post the parameters here for us to gain a better hold on the situation. :)