Anemones

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
If i put an anemone in my tank, the type that have the symbiotic relationship with clown fish, would it sting/kill other fish in the tank that don't share that relationship? Or do the other fish know to stay away?

im_netta

Small Fish
Mar 5, 2005
I've been told that if you didn't buy the clowns with the anemones then they might not take to eachother. But other than that the other fish don't go in them, they know to stay away.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Fish usually know to stay away from it. and I dont believe it will walk around trying to catch them. Before you get one I suggest looking up a thread where I included a large passage on these animals and their requirements.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
read this: http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

anemones are generally very difficult to keep alive in captivity for any extended period of time and i think with the problems your tank is currently experiencing an anemone would be a horrible purchase...maybe once you get your algae taken care of and the tank is stable for a few months then an anemone is something to think about

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
yeah i read that good stuff. I may have been misunderstood i dont have an algae problem just high nitrates right now. gonna put in a sump and scrap tha canister so thats next. but mos def wont buy one till everthing is top notch!!!

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
there is no garantee, they often times won't pair just with an anemone, my clowns live in my hammercoral, it really is totally random as to whether they take to an anemone or another kind of stinging coral. Depending on the type of anemone they can be dangerous to other fish, some have even been know to eat their host clownfish... my blue carpet ate a goby, and a dwarf angel, but he was a very large carpet, they tend to be the more agressive of the anemones available in the trade
hope this helps
Brahm