Aneone know how to lower ph in a sw tank?

Jul 12, 2007
Where else?
Anyone know how to lower ph in a sw tank?

as stated above. Ph is at 8.8-8.9 right now. Still using tap water ATM, every thing else is fine.

Last edited:

vipers

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2008
do a nice sized water change... or add a ph reducer... ive also heard vinegar or lemon juice works to lower it pretty quickly..

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
What is the pH of your new saltwater before you add it? Is the pH going up after the tank has settled a bit? maybe something in your tank such as substrate is raising it. I'm still new at all this but a better discription of your set up would help the more expericneced people here help you get it where it should be.

Jul 12, 2007
Where else?
The tank is an Aquapod 12, 13.5 libs on LR, 10 lb of sand, 70w metal halide, 2 mj 900's.
The ph of the tap water when addidng is 8.6. This DEEPLY surprises me.... I've started to add 3 drops of ph down to the tank and 1 drop to the water changing water(2 gallons). I have no amm, nitrates, nitrites or anything. Also using joes juice right now to get rid of some pests.

vipers

Small Fish
Jul 28, 2008
is there a local place where you can get RO water? or thought about purchasing an RO water maker? tap water isnt a good thing to be putting in a saltwater tank... too many trace elements that can wreak havoc.. especially chlorine

note... im sure your aware of this, but if i didnt say it, somone else would

Jul 12, 2007
Where else?
been thinking about ro water, maybe a small ro filter or something.
Lorna, you may have gotten the nail on the head. I've been using it alot, but not alot alot;p. now that i've added a few drops po ph down, there seems to be more animals coming out now. So far, not a good thing, as there is ALOT more aptaisa and majano.

I've read online about lowering ph and it says that airating is the best method. So far, the ph is down to 8.6-8.7, so I cant complain.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Is it possible to take the rock out of the tank and treat it in another small tank or bucket until all the aiptasia is gone and the majanoes? That is what I would be tempted to do.....I think. Less stress on the other inhabitants.....do some then wait a day to make sure you have it all then do another section etc...