Angel Compatibility?

svneo

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What fish have people had luck with living with angels?  I would like to get some angelfish, but would like to wait a little while until the tank is established.  What other fish could I start out with?  I have a 25 gallon tall tank and would like to have fish at all different levels.  I will probably only have two angels, would also like some bottom dwellers?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

rummynose

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
dont know
I have Corydoras and Rummy-nose tetra with my Angelfish.  Corydoras are great bottom dwellers and I've had luck adding them to newer tanks.  Rummy-nose tetra are awesome schoolers, but I've read that they are sensitive to changing water conditions and thus not good fish for a new tank.  I added mine to an established tank.  

My Angelfish get pretty testy when breeding and I would not try keeping too delicate of species with them.  Otherwise they are pretty peaceful community fish.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Hmmm....most hardy tetras are good with Angels. Barbs as well, but not tiger barbs or tinfoil barbs that might nip fins, but Rosey Barbs, Gold Barbs, Checkerboard Barbs, or Cherry Barbs. I like barbs because they can add a splash of color to a tank.

One thing you do have to remember is that Angels do grow big, and 25 gallons may only hold one fully grown breeding pair. They do get highly aggressive and territorial during breeding, and while they may not do physical damage to tankmates because of their small mouths, the constant chasing might cause stress related illnesses. Angels will eat fish they can fit into their mouths, like livebearer fry and feeder guppies. So stay away from neons and really tiny fish.
~~Colesea