Angel Vanishing Act

Torgon

New Fish
Dec 12, 2006
We have a wonderful comunity tank with a school of Red Tail Razboras, a school of Halfbeaks, four HillStream Loaches, and two Kolie Loaches. This weekend a friend decided that our aquarium needed something more "elegant" and suprized us with two Black Anglefish. I was concerned but he was experienced and insisted that they were a "comnunity" fish. We added them to the tank and they floated in as is they were home. I kept a close eye to make sure there were no nips or bites on any of the other fish. Tonight I came home from work and all fish were accounted for (minus the Kolie's who I typicaly don't see until after the lights kick off anyway). We fed the fish and it was the typical mad dash for foot. About an hour later, I looked in the aquarium and the smaller angle fish was gone. I asked my wife and she said she had seen both Angels twenty minutes before. We did a search of the aquarium and could not fiind any evidence of the other angle fish. Is it possible for an angle fish to swallow another one roughly the same size?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Torgon said:
Is it possible for an angle fish to swallow another one roughly the same size?
No...not in 20 minutes!

It may be getting picked on by the other angel and hiding as a result. Check in ornaments and other hidden places.

Did this friend happen to give you a true pair? I'm guessing not, based on what I'm hearing. How big are the angels in terms of body-length (from mouth to where the tail fin starts)?

Big Vine

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I also suspect it's hiding somewhere. If it was eating happily an hour before, it wouldn't have died that quickly and the other angel would bite and pester, not swallow. They can hide really well if they want to. Also check carefully in the dark areas or those with lots of plants.

Torgon

New Fish
Dec 12, 2006
We removed all of our plants and ornaments and still could not find any sign of the angel. I checked in/around our fliter incase it swam up the downspout and no luck there. This is the wierdest thing I've seen.

Torgon

New Fish
Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, I checked all around the tank. It has a good hood on it and the only opening is about the size of a dime filled with hoses and cords for the lights and filter (meaning it would be hard for one of the Razboras to squeeze out). The fish has been "gone" for over 12 hrs now. We seperated the other Angel to be safe.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Angel fish can eat small fish but I don't think I've ever seen an angel fish big enough to eat another...other than fry. Was the one that disappeard really tiny? Is there something he could have gotten stuck in? I know you said you removed the plants and stuff but did you look inside of them? I know that sounds like a dumb question but other than jumping out I don't know what else to tell you.

Torgon

New Fish
Dec 12, 2006
I don't know where it came from, but when I came home from work tonight, it was swiming around like it never left. My wife is going to be thrilled. I'm keeping a close eye on it to see if it tries to hide again.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
Glad you found it! Most fish are insanely good at hiding from you until they want you to see them, i can't count the number of times a fish has gone missing on me only to reappear a few days later.

Aug 7, 2005
Houston TX
It's crazy how fish can dissapear like that. I had a pleco that I didn't see for about a month then what do you know there it is. Also whenever I try to scoop out some black neons to put in another tank, all 15 or so of them completely dissapear (you could look all you want from every angle and swear they are not in the tank) and it's only a 20g tank with a few fake plants and decorations.

Meman5150

Medium Fish
Oct 25, 2006
I've had that happen also. My problem is my substrate is black and so is my angel fish. I stepped back a few steps from my tank and it was right in front of my face. I have never had anything sneak up on me like that before.

Anyway, I'm glad you found him.