Angel with badly nipped fins - what can I do?

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
The title says it all - but here is some more info.

We (actually my kids) are now unexpectedly the caretakers, at least temporarily, of 3 large-ish angelfish from sister-in-law (as well as a few other fish). They are beautiful fish! They have been in our tank for a few hours now (over night). I haven't had the time yet to research the breeds, but there is a 4" (I think) calico coloured angel with a marbled pattern, a 3.5" german blue, and 3.5" solid black angel. These fish have been together for probably close to 2 years. The black one's fins are nipped, and it looks like it is the blue one that is attacking it - usually if it gets close to the marbled one.

Apparently, there was another german blue which died 1 - 2 months ago. I assume that is when this started. The black one and the marbled one were a breeding pair - and had had several batches of fry. The 2 blue ones had also behaved like a pair, and the 2 pairs kept to themselves.

Now the black one has found a hiding place in a corner among some floating (plastic) plants, but I'm sure it won't be safe there forever. Is there anything I can do? I have no QT tank, but is there a way to isolate either the black victim, or the blue aggressor in my 120g tank? Would that help? Would it just be best to put the black one out of it's misery, or try to find it a new home? Or try to find a different home for the blue, so the original pair can get back together? Are there 2 males, fighting over the marbled female, or are there 2 females? Do I try to treat the black fishes fins now, or try to stop the attacks first? I can think of lots of scenarios, but I have no wxperience with angels to know for sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I can give water parameters if you need them, but since this was a pre-exixting problem, it's not my tank that is causing it. We have a 120g tank, and are just in the process of stocking it. With the addition of these fish, we now have about 90" of fish ( based on full grown size - but many are still jeuveniles).

Thanks in advance for any input you may have for me!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Often with angelfish there will be a third wheel if you have 3 of them. I would say the best thing to do is to try to rehouse the victim somehow (either with a friend, a new tank, or see if a LFS will take him). I doubt the pestering will end. We had a similar situation in a 6-foot tank, and the pair would harass the odd one out endlessly, chasing him/her into corners, etc. In the end, I found him/her dead one day :(

namukoby

Medium Fish
Mar 30, 2005
Thanks, Lotus, for your help once again.

I have some more questions - I'm sure everyone is getting tired of me by this point! :eek:

I wish fish were more straightforward sometimes! I'm finding this aquarium 'stuff' more frustrating than I thought it would be. I'm still enjoying it, though. Having 3 angelfish together would not be my choice.

Lotus said:
Often with angelfish there will be a third wheel if you have 3 of them. I would say the best thing to do is to try to rehouse the victim somehow (either with a friend, a new tank, or see if a LFS will take him). I doubt the pestering will end. We had a similar situation in a 6-foot tank, and the pair would harass the odd one out endlessly, chasing him/her into corners, etc. In the end, I found him/her dead one day :(

From what I was told, the black one(victim) and the marble are the pair, and the blue is the aggressor, so it isn't the pair picking on the other one in this case. The marble seems to be trying to protect the black one. Judging from what I have found on angelfish behavior (during my umpteen google searches in the past day *crazysmil) I suspect the marble is the female, and the blue is trying to 'steal' the female. If the female isn't interested in the new male, wouldn't the male just turn on her with the other one gone?

Maybe I'm making this into too big of a deal. *crazysmil I'm not a fish psychologist.

Thanks, again.

Davy

Large Fish
Jul 23, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
If the victim and the other angel are a pair, then I would say remove the aggressor from the tank. That way the pair would live together just fine and the bully has no other angels to pick on. :)