Angelfish in 29gal?

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I've come to understand Angels like height. Is something like a 29gal suitable for a pair of them (among others)?

Many years ago when I knew less than I know now.. I kept them in communal 10gal tanks! :eek:

IIRC, they did OK.

Joel

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have two angels that have been in a 30g tank for around 10 years. I inherited the tank when the grandkids went to college. Evidently one of the angels has been there since the beginning and they had it for 9 years. Sometime during that period they added another angel and now I have had it for two years.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I've had 2 angels in a 37g (a taller 29g) for several years. A 29g is a nice size for a pair. If you do get a pair, any other fish in the tank would have to be carefully chosen as the pair can be nasty towards other fish when breeding.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
A 29g is fine for a couple of angels for a good length of time - how long that might be really depends on how big your angels grow, as some get to the full span reported for the breed, and others just don't. But I'd be prepared to rehome them in a bigger tank at some point in the future...

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Hmm.. maybe it's best I leave Angels out of the fleet then. I'd hate to have them outgrow their environment and have to find a new home for them. You see a zillion of them packed into a tiny tank at a pet store and you forget they can get saucer sized!

Joel

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
If you want something with more personality you could go with a smaller breed cichlid tank. For instance I've seen a 30gal Brichardi tank. They have a lot of personality and beautiful fins as well.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Some of the smaller breeds are a little more reserved, especially if they are in with there own species. I just like their personalities compared to other tropicals.