Angels,Discus,Oscars

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
I was wondering if anytime in the future if get a really big tank if i would be able to put this fishes together

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
no

no matter how big that tank is, those fish cannot live together. The oscar will eat everything, and those discus would be a VERY expensive snack for him/her. And then having such a big tank, keeping it as clean as discus need would be unfathomable...

sphed

Large Fish
Feb 14, 2007
Angels are not to aggressive for discus. I used to keep a veil tail with my discus.
He loved my discus and would always try and school with them. The only problem is discus need high temps and angels dont. Keeping angels in high temps will dramatically reduce their life span, a lesson I had to learn the hard way.

Here is a video I posted on youtube a while back with my discus and angel.
YouTube - Discus eating

I have since put my angel in my 48 and have seen him kill many fish but he never once nipped at my discus when he lived with them. Hes a little over two years old and I think he will die within the next couple months, probably because of the high temps he lived in for 6 months.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I've seen it as well. Angels are more feisty at feeding time IME then discus. Do i sit there and take videos of my tank for "proof"...nah. Have i also seen some big pushy discus? Of course, but the norm seems to be the angels are more aggressive then the discus. Not to mention Angels are 10 times more likely to breed in the average home aquaria then discus which would mean easy pairing and aggression to tankmates.

Can both work in one tank? Yes with the proper planning, stocking, and care.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
you can always say it depends on the fish, but here i would say don't mess with it. discus are too expensive and fragile to take a risk with. at the aquarium we keep angels and discus in a tank together, however, the tank is also much larger than your usual home aquarium, so space and territory are not really an issue. we also keep the oscars in a tank where they are the small fish, because they would likely eat/kill anything smaller than them.