Angels, Tetras, and Catfish... Oh my!

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've been trying to research some fish compatability but haven't really found the answer I've been looking for. Thus, I thought I'd go ahead and post in hopes for anyone's and everyone's opinion.

I have 2 tanks:

10g- 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 female Betta, 1 commom pleco
55g- Four 4" Angelfish, one 6" Sun Catfish, one Pictus Catfish

I'd like to move my 10g fishes in the 55g tank. Is this possible? Will any of the become tasty snacks? I know neon tetras will be eaten by Angelfish but will Black Phantom Tetras? My Sun Catfish also concerns me since he has a rather large mouth.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mar 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Usually any fish that is smaller than another fishs' mouth is trouble, because fish seem to eat anything that will fit! Sometimes if the smaller fish are fast enough, and have enough hiding spots they are okay. My rule of thumb is to go by the mouth size comparison. The Pleco would probably be fine to move - though I don't know how they interact or get along with Pictus Catfish. I'd probably end up keeping the female betta in the 10 gallon since they are slower swimmers. Hope this helps!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd agree with keeping the betta out of the main tank...but since its a female it might be ok. Just watch the angels and the betta to make sure they dont get into it.

I also agree with the mouth size. Your tetras may become dinner for any fish that has a large mouth (not the angels probably but maybe the catfish) but if they're not tiny (say if they're at their adult size) they should be fine.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I've got female bettas with tetras, angels, and cories, and they're fine. They hang out near the top or in a corner or somewhere sort of secluded, and pretty much ignore the other fish.

Timbo

Large Fish
Jun 21, 2005
Nottingham UK
I have 2 pictus cats and I would caution you about the size of their mouths.... It's a lot bigger than you think... and at night ......... But if the tetras are bigger thay may be O.K.

cpatval

Small Fish
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you everyone for your input. Although i think everyone might live in harmony I'd hate to be wrong, especially after i see my sun catfish yawn. Rather large mouth. I'm thinking my small pleco should be fine with both catfishes though. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
i have a common plec with a pictus, and they get along fine that is unless the pictus tries to take the algea wafer away from the pleco, then the pleco sorta 'latches' himself to the pictus and sucks his slime coat! but the pictus has learnt to NOT mess with the pleco :D