ANNEMONE HELP

Jul 8, 2004
Kent
Visit site
Hi just wondering if anyone can help me, I recently bought a cream colored malu annemone, It has come out but just rolls about the tank, I have tried to place it on a rock but it just rolls off when the powerhead is on.
I am worried so any advice grately welcomed

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
umm...well, first off why dont you tell us a bit about your setup...

anemones will tend to move around until they find a place they like to (current, light, etc) so your best bet may be to stick it in the general vicinity you want it in and let it go on its own

you might want to do a google search on it too...probably can find some info there

Jul 8, 2004
Kent
Visit site
Hi thanks for replies. Firstly my setup is a temporary 3x2x2(normal 5x2x2 is being repaired) my filter is an eheim 2028 external with efimech, spororax and rowaphos media leading through a 15w UV and into tank, my skimming is done via a prizm pro deluxe and my lighting is being taken care of by twin 150w metal halides, Im using a 402 powerhead to create turbulance across the surface of the water. Ive also just had an outburst of brown algae(not sure if this has anything to do with it)The anemone is currantly upside down and is partially contracted. My tempreture is 78F (with a fan blowing across the top of the tank)
Anymore advice greatly recieved.
Also when i moved my stock to temporary tank i started with new coral sand.

phantomfe3

Large Fish
Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
looks like you have sufficient light. im not sure about the flow in the tank though, you might want to add another powerhead facing the opposite direction as your current one and not towards the surface as much. how long has the tank been set up? how are are the ammonia and nitrate levels? ph? how much live rock do you have?

the only problem i could see is that one of the levels in your tank is not right, if its a fairly new tank you might be in the middle of an ammonia spike. the only thing i can suggest is to ride it out, they take a few days to find a spot they like, they will attach themselves, and keep an eye on all your levels

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
How big was the Anemone when you purchased it? Anemones under 5 inches usually do not have a very good chance of surviving. When an anemone is taken from the wild and shipped from the distributor, to the wholesaler, to the LFS it is not recieving nutrients. In this case the anemone burns up the fat it has stored up. Small anemones have very little stored energy and starve while being shipped.

Second, did you ask to see it fed? Yes, part of the nutrients they recieve are form light, but the bulk of it comes from feedings. Anemones that don't feed at the LFS are basically doomed. Try a variety of food. Mysis, enhanced brine shrimp, krill, silversides, squid and other frozen foods may be accepted by the anemone.

Third, you say the anenome is rolling around the tank. Is means the conditions in the tank are unacceptable. Contributing factors are inapropriate substate, or inappropriate animals in the tank. You also could of acclimated incorrectly.

Most people do not know how to acclimate an anemone. The process should take several hours. Just like a fish only longer. Lights should be out in the tank, filters and powerheads off. When the salinity and temp match the tank slowly take the anemone out of the bag making sure not to tear the base of the anemone. Place itin the desired location and keep the lights and filters of for about an hour. You can then turn the equiptment back on.

Finally anemones are not easy animals to keep. They are probably one of the most demanding animals in the ocean. When you consider keeping an anemone remember how much care it will require. I have covered the most likely causes for your problems. However there are a ton of other factors that may be contributing.

Sam Reef-Remember, corals should be kept six months before the placement of anemones.

Jul 8, 2004
Kent
Visit site
ANEMONE HELP

Hi thanks for your advice, after reading this the only thing i can see that i did wrong was not to aclimate the anemone, I did this over the period of about 20mins as this was the advice given to me from my LFS.
Also i did not see it feeding at the LFS and i was told that it would eat the frozen food i give the fish. Q: Do i have to feed it a certain way, and if so how?
So if this is the problem is there anything i can do to save it. Today it was the right way round and opened lying on the substrate but i have just checked and its now upside down squashed under the heater partially open.(this is where it usually is)
Any advice greatly recieved

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You place a big piece of food directly on the tentacles. In the case of the brine or mysis squirt it into the anemone with a turkey baster.

Sam reef

Jul 8, 2004
Kent
Visit site
Hi just thought i would let you know that my anemone is dead, i found it this morning still upside down and completly closed and its feet look like they have melted so i guess thats it.
I just wanted to thank everyone for there advice it will put me in a better posistion next time i purchase one(a long way away).
This website is brilliant and once again thanks

Jul 8, 2004
Kent
Visit site
hi just thought id let you know that as i was about to pull the anemone out i realised that it had opened it mouth and then closed it does this mean that there is some hope, im not sure what to do now, it still has not opened but it did open its mouth when i netted it. Any suggestions ill keep it till tonight if no reply then ill bury it at sea as i live by the seaside.

From the sea you came and from the sea you will go.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
If it smells like rotten eggs, you know its dying or dead. Also if it is dead, do not put it back in the ocean. It could of had diseases or organisms that it aquired in the LFS. It could then introduce them into the ocean.

Sam Reef