Another bacterial bloom? What to do?

Flare

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
St Louis
I had been cycling a tank with Biospira and Danios. When I first did a fishless cycle, I had a bacterial bloom but now it is happening again. Can I do a water change? The ammonia is at 4!!! I don't want anything to happen to the Danios!

Thanks,
cj

Flare

Small Fish
Apr 23, 2005
St Louis
Ammonia is still high today. Nitrites have been at zero for days. Nitrates are low ( 5-10). I change my filter media about a week or 2 ago. Is it possible that the cycling is over and I just need to vacuumn? I don't want to vacuumn too soon but it has been 2 months and 19 days now. No, there are no dead fish in the tank.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Interesting. Ammonia 4, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5-10. This tells me that a.) your fish should be dead or b.) your test kit is wrong (hobbyist test kits are notoriously inaccurate). You may want to get a second opinion from another test kit.

I think you may be seeing a mini-cycle via the bacterial bloom, but this does not mean you are not cycling at all. This could have been the result of reducing bacterial colonies when you changed your filter media. To help clear things up, do small water changes daily and add a small air pump if you have one handy (optional). I would not vacuum for a while, say 2-4 weeks while the bacteria establishes itself in larger numbers. Also, refrain from changing the filter pad until it's totally clogged.