Another GBR question

bigrojo28

Small Fish
Jul 18, 2006
Ok, i went to my lfs store recently, and looked in the tank with GBRs. I saw fish that resembled gbrs in size and shape, but not at all in color, as theyre mostly tan except semi-faint black vertical stripes going all the way across their bodies. Are these low quality rams, or something else? The peole at the lfs say they're rams, but they don't look the same.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
i saw some rams like that too, it said they were the GBR but they were in no way blue or had any blue on them at all...but they might have been really stressed out cuz they were in a LFS tank...so maybe when they are stressed they lose some colour?

bigrojo28

Small Fish
Jul 18, 2006
That was my impression, but they had NO color at all, the only reason that i still thought that they were rams was that the first 2-3 spines on their dorsal fins were black, and one of 5 of them had red eyes.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Lots of fish in the LFS are like this. Not only do they not keep the best of conditions in their tank but they get in lower quality stock (usually.). At the wholesaler they don't breed for traits or care about bloodlines....they just breed. So eventually because of the bloodlines, the colors are not as vibrant.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
wow! that looks exactly liek the ones at the store...are they the same behaviour as GBR? because im planning on getting a pair if i cant find gbr, so would these guys be a good backup?

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
One thing to note. Bolivian Rams are hardier than the GBR's. They will be easier to maintain, and won't have to worry about the issue of things going wrong, like with the GBR, where they won't come back and just die on you because of their lack wanting to live when they are sick. My Bolivians are as hardy as can be, and have gone through lots of tank changes, moving from tank to tank, etc. Can't do that much with a GBR.

Edit:
Oh, forgot to mention, they get along with just about any tank mates. And they get to about 3 to 3 1/4 inches max size. My male is almost 2 years old, and is about 3 1/4 inches. The other male and the female is slightly smaller at 3 inches for the male and about 2 3/4 inches for the female.

Last edited:

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
If they are both male or both female, I'd say 20G minimum with lots of hiding places. But if a pair, male and female, then a 10G is no problem.

Now for Bolivian Rams, I would have to say, from experience, a 29G minimum for a pair due to their size.

Cichlid-Man said:
I would say 10gal, others hate 10gal.
You got it!!!!!!! :)

Last edited:

Lonewolfblue

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Wenatchee, WA
www.nw-wolf.com
For breeding? GBR's, lol. All you need is a cycled sponge filter run via an air pump, and a piece of marble or slate for the fish to spawn on, and a heater. That's it. And keep the water pristine by doing PWC's. No gravel needed, makes it easier to clean.

Last edited: