another gourami Question

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
Alright another question:
How important is companionship in fish?

Heres the deal:
I had two blue gouramis, a male and a female, for about 1 1/2 years. The female died and now the male is a little less active and just kind of stares at himself in the glass.

Does anyone know if i should be concerned or am I just being paranoid?

Also, should I expect any other kinds of behavior changes?

Angelfish

Superstar Fish
Apr 14, 2003
Valencia, California.
In my experience gouramis dont like eachother. I have two together and the larger loves to harass the smaller. The same thing with my friends two gouramis. Id leave him on his own, but if you want to get another female it might work seen as though he was good with the previous one.

Leopardess

Superstar Fish
My two pearl gouramis love each other. I had moved the male to another tank before the female. And he acted totally bummed out until the next day when I put her in with him. If your previous male/female got together, he may just be missing his girlfriend. Get a female on the condition that you can take her back. Then put her in on a day when you can supervise what happens, in case you have to take her back.

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
I had a male and female blue gourami pair, and he chased her way too much -- took him back, and she's on her own now and in great shape.

I would do precisely what leopardess said -- every step -- and give it a whirl. You should know within 3 days whether or not it is going to work out for them.

If he buys her flowers, you're in luck. :) If he chases her or refuses to call when he says he will, well, one of them has to go. :)