Another Hagen question: bubbles escaping

Plantasia

Small Fish
Jan 4, 2006
It's been 3 days now since I hooked up my system and the bubbles are STILL not going though the ladder! I checked all the connections, the tip appears to be in place. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm wondering if I have the output end at the correct level on the ladder (there's the first level, near the base, the second a little further up then the third one a little above that). I started with a DIY mix since I thought the packets looked too old (1/4 tsp yeast, tsp baking soda and sugar to the suggested level in the canister).

For the time being I rigged a piece of plastic to catch the bubbles before they reach the surface--hopefully this helps somewhat. Also, the bubble production seems fairly slow -- is this normal?

Plantasia

Small Fish
Jan 4, 2006
OK, I finally figured it out – I pulled it out to make sure I did have it locked in correctly (I was so sure!), and it wasn’t—I had it in the wrong place so I fixed it and except for the occasional stray bubble they’re bubbling right into the ladder. I guess it’ll take some time though for them to flow smoothly, right? I’ve read that it takes a few days for a slime coat to build that facilitates bubble movement.