Another new person to the Salt Water World . . .

NEW2SW

Small Fish
Jun 25, 2006
Hello all just bought me a NANO CUBE 24 Gallon tank, so far so good, just finished cycling this Sunday. OK so I am new to all of this. I have 15lbs of Live rock, 2 bags of the wet sand, 3 turbo snails and 3 hermet crabs. And just purchased 2 Blue Damsels and 1 Chromnium fish (think thats how you spell it) So I guess im done buying fish, JK. I need a few tips... Do I buy my SW from the original store that sold me the tank?? Or is it ok to purchase SW from other local fish stores in my area? And one more ? When I do bring home the fish, what is the proper way to get them in the tank? All tips are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Chromnium = chromis ?
hmmm...you can make your own SW ...assuming SW means only salt water.
Buying from stores = very little salinity, 'cause many LFS are cheap and you're almost assured to infect you fishies.
I think you could buy "the new marine aquarium" by Michael S. Paletta.
What is the water in your tank ??? I mean you got it from where. Really hope it's salted or byebye your Live Rock and inverts.
Mixing salt is one of the first thing you have to do when you start your marine aquarium.
When i add a fish in my tank, i let the bag sit opened on the water, and the bag is attached to the border of my tank or sump. Every 15 mn, i pour a little bit of my tank's water into the bag ( with a turkey baster)...and like in 2 hours, the fishies has acclimated, and i put it in the tank ( never put the water from the bag in your tank, you'll risk to propagate parasites ).

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
stop everything...you are getting way ahead of your self. I am going to say this in the nicest way possible....you havent done anything really terrible yet, which is good, and havent made too serious an investment. your best bet is to invest some money in some good books before you do or buy anything else. The book mentioned by kahluazzz is a good start. Dont put an eel in there btw.....

NEW2SW

Small Fish
Jun 25, 2006
KahluaZzZ said:
still...what water you got in your tank ?

Straight from the fish store. Is there a certain name that Im looking for that is used for just salt water?
Noticed too that on both sides of the tank (left and right) there is a lime green film growing, is this natural for a new tank, i have wiped it of already yesterday??

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
don't wanna be harsh but you need to read some basics before your livestock dies.
Ok..to get SW you need : water and a salt mix. Wich water ? Well you have 2 common options : Tap water or filtered with a unit like that : http://www.1x1x1.co.uk/water/reverse-osmosis/under_sink_ro/installation/images/instal8.jpg

If you plan to get your water directly from your faucet...well you may ( very probably ) get some crap in your water...like silicates, nitrates, heavy metals and many other goodies that will greatly help get some agaes in your tank and pollute your tank. Tested here with tap and reverse osmosis de-ionised water ( ro/di ).
An easy way to mix the water and salt : Read the instructions on your bag or bucket of salt, calculate how much salt you need per volume of water.
The new water you have should be NOT in the tank when you mix, but in a bucket or container. Put the salt in the water. Use a powerhead to mix it well and faster so the salt dissolve better. Use a heater in your bucket/container to get the same temperature that you have in your tank. Let it mix for a day or so...then check your salinity with an hydrometer or refractometer and aim between 1.022 to 1.025. Ok i forgot..check first your salinity in your aquarium. The salinity might be low since you got your water from a LFS. ( here they keep everything at 1.018...cheap bastards ) so you might wanna aim higher than 1.025 to equalize the salinity and eventually get it between 1.022 and 1.025. It's tricky at first but we all have to do this

Sep 13, 2003
london
Visit site
aresgod said:
you havent done anything really terrible yet,

really :eek: adding 3 fish at once to a newly cycled tank that will properly have an ammonia spike soon. it might just be that you cycle your tank in a different way on the other side of the pond. i have noticed that you do like to add Damsels to cycle your tanks too

Last edited: