Another new tank

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Hey guys so i started a thread on my new tank but here is one on the 90 gallon tank in the wine store i work in that i have been put in charge of, The guy who set it up and sold all the stuff to the owner is kinda oldschool and so i just had a few questions i thought i would pass by you guys to see what you thought so i could have another opinion besides my own,

So its a 90 with 260 watt compact florescents, has a built in over flow which goes into a sump below which is a "Tidepool II" one of those bio-wheel do hickys, i have never used one so no idea how to clean it ect, but i have also heard it was a nitrate trap, also the guy doing the tank originally didnt order a protien skimmer cause he forgot/didnt think he needed one, so I was thinking that def needed a skimmer was thinking the turboflotor 1000 multi (same one that i have at home and I love it) but let me know if skimmer isnt nessecary beacuse of the tidepool thingy, anyways i aquascaped it last night and the tank looks great there is 110 lbs of fiji/tonga mixed LR which is really nice stuff, levels are all still really high cause it is cycling, there is live sand too, cant think of anything else you guys would need to know to make an assessment, so let me know what you think

P.S. Pics of both mine and store tank will be coming soon

Brahm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Lets see...you will need a skimmer no doubt. A turboflotor is fine for this tank. Get rid of the bio-wheel, you dont need it, and yes it will eventually harbor nitrates. 110 lbs of live rock is plenty to handle biological filtration along with a protein skimmer. Finally water parameters won't be on track for another few weeks...probably already knew that.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Thanks yea i've done this a few times before but i just have never used the tidepool system itself so i thought i would ask around before i made an executive decision anyways thanks sam, suprisingly they have already started to go down in both tanks, and brown diatom algea is starting to show up

Brahm

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Hey so i am taking your advice on taking apart the bio wheel i was going to leave the filtration trays in unless u think that is a bad idea, but do any of you guys have any tips or suggestions to get the biowheel out of there, i have never dealt with this system before, so i wanted to make sure there weren't any precautions or anythign else i needed to know before dissassembly

Thanks again

Brahm

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I think it should just slide out. shouldnt be too much of a problem. You can keep the trays in. If you wanna put some activated carbon or other chemical filtration thats where you should do it.