Another newbie question

Apr 12, 2006
I have the 55gal tank with one RTS and 6 Tiger barbs, had it for a few months now... still looking to stock obviously but my tank is starting to smell. My house is starting to get that fishy smell, at least the room and down the hall where my tank is at. I think I'm doing enough water changes, what else can I do to eliminate the problem?

Apr 12, 2006
No I know I'm way understocked now, I did have 8 Zebra Danios and just gave them away. I feed once a day and havent lost any. The smell isnt that bad but its there right when I walk in the door.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Do you have a good lid on the tank? No slow leaks around the back of the tank? Generally tanks smell kinda earthy...but not usually BAD. Since you have a big tank, if its been warm in your house I'd think it'd be a little more noticeable because of evaporation, but not by a lot unless you're right by the tank. If you have any activated carbon around, you might try putting that in the tank to see if it helps (somewhere in or around the filter that water will flow through it).

If your ammonia/nitrite or nitrate levels are higher than they're supposed to be (0, 0 & 20ppm or so), that can make it smell stronger too.

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
Did you buy the tank new or second hand. If its second hand and wasn't cleaned out properly it could be smelly. How long has the tank been running. Tanks can be smelly when they are cycling. I still get a smell from mine from time to time.

FreddyJ

Large Fish
May 5, 2006
When my tank starts to smell I know that I've taken too long to do a water change (generally)....that or I notice that a lot of evaporation has occurred (as previously posted.) Now that I have a water change schedule (once a week, about 30%) the smell has definitely improved. During cycling it was the worst, smelled like a really bad LFS in my apartment. haha. Good luck.