Another one bites the dust...

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Well, after looking over it for about a month, I finally bought a 44g corner.
I have found lots of useful information on anything I could possibly need on this forum, and have gone with this.

All from ebay for a grand total of $140 incl Shipping
Filter/Skimmer - Amiracle SL-15
Circulation - 2 290gph powerheads+"Wavemakers "
Heater - Acura 1000 150W Heater

How much LR should I buy? I already have 30lbs of aragonite sand. I want the tank to look like a cliff style reef, but still have enough room for the fish to swim well.

I don't even have any water in yet, but that is all soon to come as the filtration is still shipping. I was just wondering if the potential set-up in my signature would work.
Of course noting that the lion would be added as a juvenile to the matured tank (e.g., all other fish are full size)

I would want to end up with the clowns for sure. If the lion is more of a no, than I would go towards a reef rather than a FOWLR

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well if you want to build a cliff you'll need as much as you need for that - I'm not sure what that will be by weight, but you'll need to swot up on building vertical structures with zip ties and milliput.
To be frank the tangs and heniochus are too active to go in a tank of this size unless you get them very small. It will also prove small for an adult dwarf lion, but should be ok for quite a while. Also you will likely find the dragonette difficult but there are ways without this. I would look at some other fish.

God only knows what the amiracle filter is like but I'm sure you can get it to act as a hangon skimmer and refugium filter.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
Yea your stocking list is way to much for a 45 gallon tank, tangs and the butterfly fish are gonna be way to active for a tank that small, A mandarin is possible but your gonna need 80+lbs of LR, and it would have to be added 8-12 months after setting up the tank, allowing the pod population to establish itself. I would go more for a reef and forget the lion, they eat enything they can fit in their mouths, I had a lion when I was a kid that was fine for 2-3 years with his clown buddy, I forgot to feed him for like 2 days and he ate the clown....so your decision I guess.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
wow. I didn't think that the lions would be that active towards a fish of that size. So the lion is a no, definitely a looker though. What if I added some copepods before the addition of the dragonet instead of waiting that long?
thanks.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
They still have to establish a population, Most people have no idea how many hundreds of pods 1 mandarin eats each day, they need months to breed without any major predators inorder for the mandarin to even have a chance.

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Revised stocking

How does this sound? I saw a Flame at PetCo, man it was gorgeous.

False Percula (2)
Green Dragonet
Bicolor Blenny
Neon Blue Goby
Flame Angel - or Lemonpeel

I have found a reasonable refugium for pod production. I would also add pods to the tank once it is cycled. Then I would wait for ?? months to add the dragonet.

Maybe even 1 cleaner shrimp. (overkill?)

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I think the dragonet will be a constant hassle to feed. The other choices are fine, though you won't have a lot going on midwater.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
mandarins are tough as I said before, life expectency is usually less than 6 months, however there is an excellent article In the 2005 Marine fish and Reef USA magazine, pick it up and read it, should answer some of your questions.