Another Question...About Water Quality

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
This last night and this morning the water in my cycling 22 gallon tank was looking kinda foggy? I don't know why, maybe it's normal or not...I need help! Another possibility may be there is too much oxygen bubbles in there, again I really don't know!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
This could be an algae bloom depending on where you're at in your tank cycle. If so, it's nothing to worry about, however, I would take a full test reading of the tanks parameters and if any are unsafe, do a large water change. The "fogginess" will clear up on its own when the tank is cycled.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Awesome! I forgot! So if my betta is not sick I can use his gravel? How much stress and time will that take off? Salt was included with the paragraph, it said it would help? Is that true? And do nitrites and amonia make the water harder?

Last edited:

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
You need to stop worrying about PH, hardness, etc. It's not a big deal and not important at this stage in the game. The only things you should concern yourself with at the moment are ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels.

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Well, as MissFishy said, Ph is not a worry right now. your ammonia and niTRITE need to be at 0. your niTRATE should be ok where it is, as long as it does not spike up. Just keep on cycling your tank, and when you reach the levels we've talked about...THEN your ready for fish.

Believe me, I know you want to get some fish in that tank. I'm the same way, I'm not very paitent. But, you have to wait...or your going to kill off the fish that you were so happy to get.

-Jay

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If you have an already established and cycled tank (I'm getting confused about what tanks you have that are established?), you can definitely take some gravel and add that to your new tank to help kick off the cycle. That will lessen the cycle time to maybe a week if the media is truly cycled. However, it takes about 4-6 weeks to have a truly completely cycled fish tank, so unless you've had one set up for that long, you likely don't have enough bacteria in a tank to use this method.

MadridKid

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2007
California
Okay, I have a 22 gallon fish tank. It is being cycled by nothing now from what your website said...I will be using the method you say you like to use which is the Established Media Method. I will put gravel from established fish tanks into mine, as long as the fish are healthy in the tanks I choose to pick from. How long will I have to wait? Also, could I like you said put fish in one at a time like you mentioned? P.S.- Your website was very helpful, Thank You!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Where are you going to get the gravel from? If you get enough gravel from an established tank, you can probably add a fish right away. Of course, after you add that fish, you will have to test the water daily and do water changes for a few weeks until you add the next fish.