Another Stupid Question

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
OK, so while I'm waiting for answers on my fish death problems...yes, I know all about the tank cycle. My parents have a large 100 gallon tank, and I inherited a water siphon from them. However...I'm the biggest idiot and can't get it to work! I've just been doing water changes very carefully with a large jar! Any suggestions/instructions to get this thing going?

GIS Guy

Superstar Fish
Feb 18, 2004
East-Central Illinois
Visit site
Does it have a backflow preventer (?) on it? If it does fill the tube with water then pump it up and down to build water into the hose.

Some people have posted they use the tried and true method of sucking on the end of the hose, and sometimes getting a taste of their water quality.

Another way would be to hold your thumb on the end of the hose and fill it completely with water, then fill the tube with water and let go of the end.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
Do you guys really suck on the syphon or is that a joke?? If i tried that it would be a disaster! yuck. When I first got my syphon I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, despite following the directions on the back of the package (it was a regular syphon with no pump). I went to the LFS and a nice guy showed me a really easy, no mess way, (different from the package instructions):

1. put the hose part in a bucket and then take the larger tube and put it upright in the tank, below the water level.

2. let the water flood into the tube.

3. Once the tube part is almost full of water lift it up (still holding upright) and the water will drain down the hose into the bucket.

4. BEFORE the large tube is almost empty put it back in tank holding it perfectly UPRIGHT.

5. Let water flood back into the tube, once its full push it all the way into the tank (still upright) and then flip it upside down (with the opening towards your gravel).

6. It should be suctioning now. If not repeat filling the large tube with water. The important thing is to keep it upright until the very end.

Its kind of difficult to decribe here, so if you have problems i would suggest to your LFS and ask someone to show you.

Igor The Cat said:
i just suck on it, i never get a mouthful, plus its the fastest way. but when im doing w/c i prefer to use my python

cheers

-Java
LOL last time i did that i got a mouth full!:eek: What i do is hold the vacume part at an angle then put it in the water, then lift up so the water in there goes down, then i put it back in the water and it works!

Don't get a mouth full!LOL!!!!!!!!*thumbsups