another sump/ref ?

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
if the two tubes that are coming off of my overflow box and into the sump are under water( the ends of my tubes are 1 foot under the water level in my sump) will it restrict flow because it has to push that extra pressure?

So i guess what im asking is if i cut the tubes from the overflow box at the water level line instead of it having to output 1' farther down will it increase my siphon, because right now i havea ball valve on my return line to slow the return pump cuz my overflow cant keep up. ?? hope I splained it well??

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you will get so many micro bubbles and a lot of noise in your sump (waterfall sound) so its generally best to leave the outlet submerged...as far as backpressure i think its minimal and isn't likely to gain you that much extra flow through the overflow (but im not an hydrologist)...most people run a ball valve on their return (i do too) just so they can control flow better and like you i am overpumped so i need to cut things down or else i flood the carpet

jammerz

Large Fish
Feb 28, 2005
Boise
thank god for my hardwood floors..actually i cut them down so they still submerged and i got quit a bit more flow from my overflow box. Thanks camaro....