Another Tank Refusing to Cycle

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
Funny that I'm following a post about a tank not cycling, but my case is a little different.

I have 2x 2.5G tanks, each with a male betta. 3 weeks ago I started cycling when I got my new Red Sea Nano Filters, and I've been closely monitoring everything to see how the cycle progresses. Well, it's been 3 weeks and my water conditions haven't changed at all:

4/7/09
Ammonia: 4ppm
pH: 6.0
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

4/14/09:
Nitrate: 0ppm

4/22/09
Nitrate: 0ppm

and I've been treating the water with Stress Coat and aquarium salt before adding it to the tank. My RA has an established tank (with sand substrate) but his discus has some breed-specific disease, so even though I've got bettas, I'm REALLY hesitant to use any media from him until his fish is better. Anyone know what's going on, or am I being impatient?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Well, first of all your ammonia can absolutely NOT be at 4.0 ppm with fish in the tank. It is toxic at that level. Even though bettas breath air, they should not be subject to ammonia levels like that. With such a small tank you should be doing water changes without a problem.

I would try seeding it with a different tank than your RA, you never know. Try a pet store.

Apr 22, 2009
hopeful help

I don't know if you gotten done but maybe try adding some Stress Zyme it will help promote the needed bateria growth so that biological filtration ( and other bacteria) can be established. I know it has helped my tank with a goldfish. Also if you are useing anything like Ammonia Detox etc it can turn ammonia into ammonium but that will still register as ammnioa ( or so I am told by the pet store person)

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
Hmm okay. I'll try the stress zyme, but I'm hesitant to use LFS gravel because the local store here doesn't always keep their fish well. I guess if I got it from a not-feeder fish tank it may be ok, but how would that factor in with the stress zyme? And does pH have anything to do with how effectively bacteria will grow?

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Nah.. ph doesn't play into the cycling process unless it is very acidic.

A tank may cycle in three weeks if the ammonia was at 5ppm from day one. But that is not the case here. "fish-in" cycles take longer because water changes lower the food sources of the beneficial bacteria. You need to do those water changes though (for your fish's benefit). So it is going to take longer to see a cycle. (possibly a few months)

If you were to add established media as suggested, it would be ok to use that with your stress zyme.

Do you have a heater on your tanks? I assume you do. I would raise the temperature to 80 degrees because the beneficial bacteria reproduce much more quickly in warmer temps.

This may be a crazy question but I have to ask...are you running filters on your tanks? I ask b/c some people don't do it for bettas because "they breathe air" However it is needed for the beneficial bacteria to reproduce and grow.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Stress Zyme is a water conditioner, it won't help you cycle your tank. If you want some store bought bacteria, you can look for some refridgerated bio spira, otherwise the rest is just a waste of money. Bacteria can't just live in store bottles, it has to be frozen.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
The test kit is reading total Ammonia. It is a less harmful form in acidic water as NH4+. The more alkaline you get over a PH of 7 , the more it becomes (NH3) and harmful. Not that Nh4 can't hurt but it is less harmful in your acidic water.

Do not touch your filter. It is only 2 weeks in...you probebly have another few left.

Are the fish in each tank acting ok? I would do a small water change as suggested and leave it go. Minimal feeding.