Any algea eater suggestion?

hutucong

Small Fish
Apr 10, 2005
I have a 10G tank with 6 white clouds and one albino cory and one oto. There are three small plants too. The tank has a lot of brown and green algea at the buttom and wall of the tank and the leaves of plants. I keep a oto is becasue it can eat algea. But it looks like that one oto does not do the job well. Should I put more otos or any other algea eaters?

My friend says pletco is very good, but i think my tank is too small for it.

thanks!

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
10gal is to small for a pleco, being that I've seen some grow to about 12". You could try just regular algea eaters. They look like this

They also come in gold and only get about 4" to 6" long and they do a pretty good job of helping keep the algea down. Although, they might need a little help.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
oh. I just didn't know what CAE stood for and also they're just called algea eaters in the lfs around here, so I didn't know, thanks.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
I suggest a couple more otos too. Nobody, yours could be a Siamese algae Eater... apparently the two are nearly impossible to tell apart besides something that has to do with their mouths. Maybe google the siamese Algae eater and see if you can find a website that will compare them side by side. I found one liket hat but can't remember what site it was.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Actually SAEs and CAEs don't look much alike at all, people confuse SAEs and flying foxes. At any rate, I agree that another oto would be good, but not much else will go in a 10. If you are having algae problems it usually means you need to cut back on a nutrient- which means you might want to think about reducing light in the tank or lightening feedings and doing more water changes.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Thanks for that Ashleigh. I just came across a site a while back that had two of them side by side comparing them. The names get thrown around so much it is hard to keep up with which is which. Personally, I don't have any of them! Well I have my 2 otos.