Any Clammers here???

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a t.crocea clam. It is about 4 inches long and a peacock blue colour. I am running 2 x 96 w actinics and 2 x 150 w m/h lights on a 75 g. I placed the clam on a flat piece of rock on the substrate. He opens up but not like I have seen them in the store. The attached pic was taken the other night. I wonder if he should be open more....I feed coral plankton and bioplankton twice a week as I only have the one clam and a couple of corals. My water params are great 0 ammonian/trites/trates. calcium is about 400 and ph 8.2 alk is 4.5mm/l? not sure if this is the right measurement of hardness....

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Clams are very hardy, and in my opinion croceas as long as the foot doesnt tear are pretty hardy. Yours looks fine after a while it will begin to expand the mantle.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
I have a crocea clam in my nano. In my experience too it has been hardy, having been given proper lighting and all. I placed it high on the rock as I only run 96 watt PC's, and the mantle is very colorful and healthy and the clam is growing nicely.

It sounds like you have an ideal system for your clam. If you like this one, you may get addicted and try others like the less light hungry squamosa and other tridacna species.

Beautiful rock setup! That's one gorgeous tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thank you!..... I might be moving the rock around a bit to allow more light to reach the bottom. Right now the big piece blocks some light. This will also give me a shelf to place clams on........and yes I can see I could become addicted to clams.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
sounds great. I rearranged my rockwork this weekend to create more light and less shadow. I like the new look and the clam now sits directly under the mh light......I now have a great spot to add another in a few months. maybe a squamosa or teardrop

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I am also running an old aquaclear 700 just for water flow. No other filtration other than the 135lbs of live rock and a 6 inch dsb. All water params are great......with ca at 390-400 alk at 4.00 meq/l