Any fish suggestions?

Mar 16, 2006
Hi. I've been out of fishkeeping for about 10+ years and recently just bought myself a used tank with fish. It has dual filtration by way of an undergravel filter and a Whisper 30 hang on back.
The fish that came with the tank are:

1 - Rainbowfish(3.5")
1 - Corycat(2")
3 - Assorted Cichlids(1.5")

My tank is 25 gallons and would like to add more fish if possible, but I'm not sure what is compatible with these fish. I'd be interested in schooling fish, but I don't think my tank is long enough. There may also be problems because of the Cichlids. Any suggestions with the type of fish and quantity would be greatly appreciated.

If this helps, my tank has a base of 12 x 24 and a height of 21"

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2006
I was also getting rid of the cichlids since they are so hard to match up other fish with. If anyone else thinks of this as an idea, please chime in.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I'd get rid of the cichlids, since it sounds like you want to plan a community tank and cichlids are usually best kept with other cichlids... assuming that the assorted cichlids are mbuna, which they usually are. Once you've gotten rid of the cichlids, you can get a few buddies for the cories (go up to 5-6, if you aren't going to have other bottomfeeders), and get a good sized school of rainbowfish (6 or more)(the smaller rainbows, like celebes, threadfins, dwarf praecox, etc.), and if you want add a larger "centerpiece" fish like a gourami or an angel. The height is good for spreading things out, I've noticed that my rainbows stick solely to the middle of the tank, the gourami to the top and middle, and the cories of course stay to the bottom.