Any idea what this stuff is??

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
take the rock out if possible and scrub off other wise scrub and syphon it out! more importantly find the cause and nip it in the bud! usually stems from phosphates but not enough flow can contribute aswell..... scrub it off the rocks and do a few large waterchanges.... also try to increase your flow a bit ;)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
how much flow do u have, what size tank. how often are u doing waterchanges, lighting schedule, ect... get us familar with your setup so wecan help u better! ;)

Jun 29, 2008
PA
thanks for the recommendation.

i have read that the cyano lives off of fish wast, uneaten food, etc... would it be BAD idea to move the affected rock to a cycling tank (after it has been scrubbed)? there is nothing in the cycling tank except some live rock/sand.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
SOrry for not giving that info.

29g tank. setup on sept 30 2008. doing 15% water changes weekly. lighting is usually 8 hours a day although this week it has been more since I have been off from school ---approx 14 hours.

flow is proivded by (2) Koralia 2 power heads positioned on opposite ends of the tank. I am using a HOB biowheel 200 and an in-tank skimmer (visi-jet for 70g). the PS is pulling out dark colored water.

i have about 15lbs of cycled LR in the tank.

one green chromis in the tank and one Royal Gramma in quarantine.