Any ideas on

umm, in my opinion, nothing. no fish should have to live in a tank that small. there is one choice tho, and that is a betta, they dont need heat, or much filtration, but it will foul the tank up so quick if you forget one WC, and i would do a 50% about every three days or so.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
ADF is perfect for a 1gal, That's what I had in mine (and will again when I can find a 1gal cube) and he did great. I woulden't go with a betta though, I just think that's too small for them. ADF's are usually at the bottom or the top, they don't really swim around, so having so little space doesn't affect them so much. But I'd do at least a 50% WC every other day with a tank that small and no water movement.

angel51431

Large Fish
Apr 22, 2003
NYC
shellvergel.blogspot.con
actually bettas absolutely need heat and prefer very warm tanks (80-ish F). However, this wouldn't work in a 1 gal set up. It is not possible to safely heat such a small tank, since it can overheat quickly. Just the same, it can lose heat and fluctuate a lot - which will stress a fish an awful lot. I wouldn't keep a betta in anything that small unless you're going to keep it in a very warm room that has no drafts.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
cinlnk said:
A tea bag and Ice................:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist......IMO .... Nothing, way too small a space for ANYTHING to live Happily and comfortable!

*celebrate
you made me fall outta my chair laughing XD.I think i'll just make it a Qt for any new Bettas/ADfs i get,then i'll move them to bigger better tanks.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
That is about the best use of a 1gal I have ever heard. I am paranoid about spreading things with new fish and I am always trying to get everyone else to quarentine new fish, but I always end up over there helping them treat their fish a week later. I quarentine a bit excessively I guess, but I will NOT introduce any new fish to any of my established tanks unless it has been in quarentine for at the very least 4 weeks... and that's if there are no problems at all, it's usually longer than that. So I think that is great use of a 1gal that would otherwise be a less than perfect invironment. And having them in smaller tanks makes it easy to observe them, I have a fluor. desk lamp to put over mine and I was going to do planted with either cherry shrimp and/or an ADF. :)