any pros and cons to....

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
i found 80 lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of live sand for sale for a good price from an ad in paper is this a big no no or what should i be lookin for as for should I or shouldent I any input would be great. captbill

captbill

Small Fish
Sep 22, 2008
i have talked to him and he sounded like he was just getting out of salt water and said his fish died would that be somthing to worry about when looking for live rock...also how would you bring that home in a bag or a few buckets of salt water never bought this much in one shot. And what about sand would i be better off gettin new?

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
when i bought my LR i brought a bucket, and the fish store took some paper town soaked in the saltwater and put it over the LR... allthough i live about 5 mins from the LFS so the rock was in the tank really fast

i would be worried as to why his fish died though

You'd be fine with wet paper towels or newspaper for an hour....

But, I would be interested in some specifics about his tank and how the fish died. More than likely, the rock is fine unless you planned on putting it right into your tank.

Forget the sand, worthless. You sand will be live almost immediately after putting live rock over it, so no need to pay extra for live sand.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
ahh if you are getting the sand for cheap you could always put it in a bucket and rinse it well with salt water from your next water change.....it can only be a good thing. Just make sure that the tank he had wasn't treated with copper

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I agree that wet newspaper will do just fine. I would also wrap it with plastic to help the mositure from evaporating.

As for the sand... I agree with Lorna. If you can get good seeded sand it will only help speed things up with your tank.