any suggestions , new tank

stooeygee

Small Fish
Aug 29, 2005
Manchester , England
Ive been keeping ranchu goldfish for 3 years now and think ive more or less sussed the proper keeping of this species.

I have 3 living in my 50 gallon

but now I am thinking bout getting a small tropical hex ( around 6 us gallons ) for my kitchen.

I initially though of a betta but was thinking of other tropicals or maybe a dwarf puffer.

any suggestions and stocking levels for this size tank
I know it is a vague question , sorry
cheers

stu

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
I've got a 5 gallon hex with a betta and some snails sitting on my computer desk. He's not very active so it's relaxing to watch him. Dwarf puffers are neat too, and very personable. You could probably keep two dwarf puffers in a 6 gallon, as they only get about 1.5 inches. You can read more about dwarf puffers at www.dwarfpuffers.com. Personally, I like betta's with maybe a few cardinals in a tank that size. I like live plants so I want something with color that is going to stand out. My figure 8's kind of blend in with the live plants so they don't really stand out. They are cool though, and it's neat to watch them eat a snail or rip meat from a mussel.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I have a 5 in my kitchen with the betta and some random tankmates. I would agree with the cardinals and a betta, or a betta and an apple snail, maybe some ghost shrimp or an african dwarf frog. I guess it depends what kind of look you're going for. Also, you'll find that a smaller tank actually requires more attention than the larger tank and can be a challenge to clean sometimes, just have to get used to it. If you stock it lightly then it'll be easier to take care of.