Anyone ever try.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Quite a lot of people use natural seawater, apparently it has lots of microorganisms. Of course, you need to watch for the pollution levels.

My mother used to do one at my grandparents' beach house, with locally collected critters.

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
I experament alot, or did at one point before I was married. It was through all that, I learned how to be a good fish keeper. I am really kicking around the idea of saltwater, and more then likely going to try seawater. I found a place in NJ that sells nurse sharks, but they need like a 300g tank!! So much for that idea, but maybe in the next house.

I think I am going to set up a salt water tank, go to the docks and catch me a fish!! When I was a kid we would get fish from the creek and put them in a jar. Of course they did not last long, after all it was a jar, but the idea is the same here I think.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I wouldn't get water from the docks, or fish for that matter. Its amazing how much oil and other nasty nasty pollutants can be found near docks.

If you buy a 40lb bucket of salt you could use either RO water or tapwater (depending on your local water quality) to make seawater. It definetly beats hauling water from the shore to the tank.

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
when i collect new fish for tanks, i usually set up my q-tank with native water and slowly acclimate them over to tap over the course of their 4-week q-tank stay. i've found that it helps to cut down on stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.