Anyone ever use a Pro Clear skimmer?

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
I was at a LFS looking for a Octopus skimmer and they tried to sell me a ProClear skimmer, for about the same price has anyone ever used one of these or know anything about them? Ive never heard of them. Thanks in advance

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
What model were you looking at? Pro clears are a decent skimmer, definitely considered a budget skimmer. they require a lot of fine tuning...for what its worth i would go with the octopus

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
what do you need the dart for? I think Im kind of confused...what Octopus did you end up getting? Unless the dart is for a return which I didnt catch then you dont need that pump. On a side note you can get darts for way less then $400

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
got the msx 200 and the dart was suggested for a return but seems high around here, my 55 gallon i planned to make a sump out of wont fit under the stand so I think Im going to use a 30 long I bought today got a heck of a deal on 30 long with 40 lb of LR, stealth heater to hermit crabs Eihm hob filter, almost full 50 gallon bag of IO, BW striped damsel and to flourescent strip lights all for 60 bucks so Im hopng I can set it up as a sump if I put the LR and damsel in a tub or somethn for a couplr of weeks hate the stress n the little guy after I just moved him tonight

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
I've got three 1-1/2" bulkheads for the drain, and I have two 1" bulkheads for the return one on each side. Never had a sump before so do you think a 30 long would be big enough to use a sump LXWXH -36"X12-3/4"X16-3/4"? I planned on using my old 55 gal but wouldnt fit in and out of the stand with the tank on the stand and I dont want to risk it if theres ever a sump problem don't want to have to remove the tank. Thanks in advance

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
thats a lot of water draining though so i guess a dart isnt out of the question. a 30 might be a little small for that volume of water flowing through it. what are you using the sump for? refugium a place to just put the skimmer? and i can get you a reeflo snapper 2400gph for $209 or a reeflo dart 3500gph for $229

Jan 9, 2009
Owensboro, KY
Yea I plan on putting a fuge and the skimmer there, I thought I had the skimmer squared away, but they called me earlier and said it was backordered until the end of the month and I can't find one anywhere else, I'd like to find a premade sump but most that see people aren't real fond of and have problems with , then I could just use the 30 as a QT