Anyone using "tropic isle tahitian moon sand" ?

What substrate should I use in a 30g w/10-12 blackskirt & blue tetras

• Total voters

Luvi

Medium Fish
Feb 23, 2005
San Francisco, California
I want some reviews for others who have this as a substrate. Are they really fine grade and black-black? Any good and bad reviews are welcome, thanks!

Luvi

Medium Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Thanks Froggy, actually the price difference isn't too much, plus the site won't charge me extra for heavy weight fee.. It is true I would have save much more with sand because I am using some now. Online I did some research some keeper says the only drawback of the black sand (or any black substrate) is if there is white coral, the bits and pieces of white droppings from the coral will really show... But I won't have coral in my freshwater tank...

Last edited:

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
I find black substrates make fish look more colorful in the tank.
A lot of fish prefer to have a dark substrate 'cause it emmulates the biotope from which the particular fish came. (For example Harlequin Rasboras).

Luvi

Medium Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Wayne - someone says "The Tahitian Moon stuff is basically finely crushed volcanic glass".... Also, the manufacturer says it won't alter the pH...

longtyme68 - I am still undecided, sure I want to use black sand so it reflects more color on my pretty Tetras... I will post pics once everything is set up (won't be till months later, as the tank is still brand new empty sitting here...)

Viciente - good point, thanks.

Others who is using this Moon sand please post me some reviews, I am still undecided... please help... Thank you all!

Luvi

Medium Fish
Feb 23, 2005
Regular sand shouldn't affect the pH, I have been using it for few months already and my pH is the same as when I used gravel before... it is actually cleaner than using gravels because it never needed vacum and no waste trapped underneath..

Viciente

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
longtyme68 said:
Good info, Viciente! I hadn't thought of that. So do you think that the black gravel I just added with my regular sand will have a certain type of fish just swimming over that area, or possibly frequenting that area more? Just thought I should ask, even though it seems like a dumb question.
It's not a dumb question at all... I can't say that it will attract fish to areas, though it won't shy them away. Fish that are relaxed in their environment are always healthier, their colours are stronger and they react more 'naturally'. (ie easier time spawning etc).