API nitrate test kit VERY INTRESTING

I have a challenge for anyone using api nitrate test kit First ill explain how i discovered this then you go and try it and tell us your results
I have three different test kits for redundancy purposes 2 are API and 1 is Nutrafin. Now I test my salt water and it shows 80 yes 80 ppm ( not to good ) So I went to the pets store and they tested my water with a nutrafin kit and it showed to be about 15PPM ( acceptable ) That's actually when i bought a NEW nutrafin kit and threw out the old BUT i did the test again and sure enough it read 80 ppm.So then i was confused. I tested with all three kits and the same around 80 PPM I went to a third store and got it tested she used a nutrafin and a API and it was about 10 by this time. So I told her my delema and i asked politely if i can do the same test with her api and watch me do it so i know whats different. I did it again and it showed up as 80 We both laughed and say this is not normal. NOW There was only ONE thing that i did different from what ALL the pet stores in my area are doing When I shake the bottle number 2 for 60 seconds I SHAKE THE CRAP OUT OF IT they just shake it gently from side to side for 60 seconds I pointed this out and they did the same with THERE water and it measure about 80 ppm BUT there reef system is THRIVING very very VERY well ( the water they tested ) Now I know that 80PPM is not going to house a healthy arrangement of corals and annenamies. OK So all of you who are testing 10 to 20 ppm using api AND HAVE A HEALTHY REEF TANK please try shaking the second bottle like your life depends on it for 60 sec and tell me what results you get from a test after that.
My suspicion is that shaking the bottle TO MUCH give you a way off the charts inaccurate reading and it actually did the same when i shake the third bottle like that in my nutrafin test kit. Also This leaves me totally unable to TRUST the accuracy of the kits because simply of the level of SHAKE you put into it changes the readings Please let me know your results and a opinion of HOW MUCH SHAKE would be more likely to be acurate and if there is any other advice you can give to get acurate reading???? Thank you all
Ken

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
ok I shake the bottles both like you do and my reefs show up as 0 nitrates, so i'll guess that it may be your test or your water. i notice too that the stores, when testing with API or something rather, do not shake vigorously, but do so gently. that definitely gives a lesser reading than there is.

no idea on their water, if their tanks were primarily soft corals i can buy that but SPS would not likely take 80ppm of anything o_o

Actually there is two color sheets inside One for fresh and one for salt It is a FW and SW but the color match is different for each . OK I will shake vigorously and Yes the reef tank they tested and I tested In there store was primarily soft corals and pulse xenas stuff like that but GORGEOUS and healthy looking.

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
I recall when I began dosing EI method for planted tank and posted concerns over very high NitrAte readings. Plant folks suggested that without calibrating the test that readings may or may not be accurate.
Someone posted a method for calibrating the tests but I cannot recall who or on which forum.
Google may provide the info?