API Stress Coat vs....

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I've been using Kent Chlorine Complex to condition my tap water and I'm all out and need to pick some more conditioner up. How much does the type of de-chlor/conditioner really matter? Does Stress Coat really provide any extra benefits?

Feb 27, 2009
I've never seen any benefit of those that say they 'add to the slimecoat' etc., personnally.

My local tapwater is treated with chloramine, so I use a conditioner that says it treats chlorine, chloramine, and detoxifies ammonia and heavy metals, since breaking the chlorine from chloramine leaves the water with ammonia in it. Nothing like doing a water change and ADDING ammonia because the conditioner didn't do enough!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
I use API StressCoat+. Never noticed any extra benifits with the added 'aloe vera' etc.

Use 'Prime' if its avaliable in your area. Its reliable and comes highly recommened around here.

(haha Cones.. beat ya to it this time...lol jk :p)

Feb 27, 2009
ooo, i think cones mentioned Prime in an implicit way by describing what it does haha.
Prime isn't the only one that does what it does. In every area of the USA I have lived in (Carolinas, Texas, Arizona, and midwest states) its has always been the cheapest per dose.

At my local fish store 3 miles from where I live, its 3.99 for a 3oz bottle (500 gallons of treatment), and AmQuel+Plus is 11.99 for a 16oz bottle (960 gallons).

So if I buy two bottles of Prime, will cost me $8, and do a bit more gallons than the $12 AmQuel+Plus. I'd rather buy the cheaper one, and use the extra money to buy another plant or fish! I'm cheap like that.*BOUNCINGS

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I noticed the Kent Chlorinex Complete says it also promotes the slime coat. didn't notice that before. Anyway I picked up a bottle of AmQuel+ ($7.99, 8oz I think), it was the best deal at the LFS and "what most of their customers use"

I like that the AmQuel+ is supposedly all natural and has a nice blueish tint and no smell. The Kent Chlorinex Complete smelled strongly of sulfur.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
sulfur smell is noraml with some conditioners. prime has the strong smell. its also very good from my experience and the smallest bottles are the best deal. they even have a dropper cap, which i have not noticed until now :D

sheamurai

Small Fish
Jul 1, 2009
Just bought my first bottle of Prime, on recommendation from so many people. haven't used it yet, but its certainly cheaper as far as treament dosage!

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Another proponent of Prime here.

A cap full treats 50 gallons, which is how I change water in my tanks. For smaller volumes it's about three drops per gallon out of an eyedropper. And that's for free chlorine residuals up to 3.3 ppm, way more than is normally found in tap water.