API Stress Zyme-Does it help/work?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
If you want something that will really work, call around and find some BioSpira. It's expensive, but it really works. It must be refrigerated. If the lfs doesn't refrigerate it, it probably won't do anything. I just mention that because someone here bought some a while back that hadn't been refrigerated; I suppose their lfs didn't know the proper way to keep it.
It is worth the money, though.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
All other products that claim to add bacteria are full of mulm. And certainly avoid Cycle, because not only does that stuff claim the bacteria crap, it also says it should be used with every water change.

(Well, um, Hagen...how about Cycle doesn't have any necessary use at all?)

Back on topic, if you're looking to cycle your tank and you're not in any deadline or hurried situation, there's no reason to spend money on a product.

Bio-Spira is supposed to work, so I'll agree with homebunny and recommend it to you, but I do want to remind you that nature will cycle your tank for free if you have the time to let it.

Last edited:

ZenGoalie

Medium Fish
Apr 1, 2006
Southern NH
www.monkeypants.net
I think I'm going to let nature take it's course. I put a couple of striped danios in to the 30. Since they're pretty hardy, I'm thinking I'll wait a week, and add a couple more...

Let it go for at least a month or six weeks, and let nature do her job!

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
As much as I hate being "that guy," i want to remind you that using fish for a cycle isn't entirely necessary if you can get a bottle of pure ammonia.

More than that, if you do choose to do a fish-in cycle, you will need to do water changes in order to prevent them from being completely poisoned by the toxicity of the ammonia and nitrite levels during the cycle.

ZenGoalie

Medium Fish
Apr 1, 2006
Southern NH
www.monkeypants.net
Oh I know...it's just difficult trying to tell my 4 year old that "No, we can't put the fish in the big tank yet..." So far in shopping, I haven't been able to find a plain old unscented bottle of ammonia...

I don't mind doing the water changing, it gives her something to help out with in taking care of the tank. And, since I'm not in too big of a hurry, I don't mind playing with it for a few weeks. So far it's tested fine. I'm just waiting for the spike of ammonia...

I love how anytime I go into the LFS the guy says I only have to wait 48 hours before being able to add fish...

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yeah...those lfs folks are great sometimes...NOT. Have you looked at your local grocery store with the cleaning products? I dont know if you guys have it out there but I got mine at Albertsons, its their brand of ammonia. Or maybe one of our members somewhere on your side of the country has some suggestions on places that they've found it.

Good luck :) Oh and I totally agree on the cycling products. I've heard that biospira works well (assuming its refrigerated and handled and used as it is supposed to be) and have heard good things about a product called stabilize during fish-in cycles. I haven't personally used either product, ammonia does the trick for me :)

ZenGoalie

Medium Fish
Apr 1, 2006
Southern NH
www.monkeypants.net
Grymatta said:
I had the same problem with finding a plain bottle of ammonia. If you have any Duane Reade drugstores in your area, check for it there.
Nope, afraid not. It's been a couple of weeks, and I put 4 zebra danios in and have been doing water changes. I think it would take me longer to find plain old ammonia than it will be for me to just add the fish gradually and do the water changes.

So far everyone's alive, the water's actually testing good...so I'll just stick it out and do it with the fish. Plus, my 3 year old is much more entertained with the fish in the tank than to just have it sitting empty...
*SUNSMILE*