Aptaisia

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay so after battling this mess for months I finally broke down and bought a small copperband butterfly against my better judgement. I know their dismal prognosis but I was just about ready to give up. Well, much to my dismay this little guy will only eat mysis. Won't touch the aptaisia what so ever. I did see him nibbling away at some gel food I stuck in a rock crevice, but so far only he only cruises around nibbling and picking at the rock and gobbling up mysis when it hits the water. Won't touch pellets or flake. I may have to take the nudibranch route with the aptaisia if I can't get him to eat it. Any thoughts?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Oh and I did try peppermint shrimp but the nice little 12line wrasse in the tank thought I had just handed him a plate of tacos....gobbled up $30 in peppermints in 10 minutes.

ryanm19

Medium Fish
Feb 6, 2008
Lawrence, KS
i have a maroon clown and he did the same thing with my 4 peppermint shrimp as your wrasse did with yours. i was thinking of going the copperbanded butterfly route but hearing your story doesnt help, haha. ive not tried the nudibranches, but i havnt heard a lot of success with them. ive also heard of some success from matted filefish. keep us posted on your butterfly, not only if he eats the aiptasia but if he stays fed. Those fish can be picky about eating.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well he tears into mysis. My problem is I don't want to feed the tank mysis every day. He was picking at gel food yesterday which is a good sign and I know he picks around the rock so maybe he is getting enough, he looks fat enough.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
You can boil water and inject it into the apista.. Or calk paste it maybe? That's cool about the copperband , I've always wanted 1!! How's the cardinals doing , any more babies??

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
no cardinals in this tank....I sold my 75 set up over a year ago now have a smaller one.

Tre, I haven't tried feeding him anything else though as stated he will eat the gel food and pe mysis, but doesn't eat the aptaisia. he is pretty fat, may have to try the nudibranch though I think they will get eaten up by the 12 line also the copperband will probalby think it is a smorg. Both fish constantly hunt the rockwork.