aqua c remora

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
ok so i know this might sound like a dumb question but i have a aqua c remora protein skimmer and i dont know if i need to clean everyone and awhile or not ...i have noticed some foam coming out of the little hole in the black cap is this good or not?...what should i be doing?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
just leave it be... its normal for foam to come out of that hole ... if u want u can rinse the collection cup out once in a while ... i just dump the gunk out and thats it

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
They need to be dumped and the collection cup cleaned of built up scum at least once a week to maintain efficiency. Get a brush and brush the scum out of the riser tube where the foam comes up as it can get built up pretty fast. I take the whole thing down and apart about every six weeks and clean it with clear water.

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
thanks guys...also one more question is it better to have the collection cup sit down in the unit...or have it sit up higher?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
depends on your bioload and how much gunk it is pulling out. If it is pasty and dark sludgy then you may want to lower it and make the skimmate a bit wetter, if it is watery and filling too fast raise it up. You will find your sweet spot and be able to judge where you want it. I lower mine after I do maintainance so it is skimming heavier and at other times I will raise it so it skims lighter.......