AquaC Urchin Pro

Jan 19, 2008
Hi,

Question about protein skimmers in general I guess (mine is AquaC Urchin Pro if that matters). With this collection cup you can raise and lower it to get more or less bubbles through the cylinder for the skimmate to collect in the cup. I'm not sure where exactly the level of the cup should be the directions and web site dont really get specific on this.

If I push it down enough so the bubbles enter the center cylinder (that goes to the collection cup) is it ok to stop the bubbles about an inch short of the openning and the skimmate gets pushed up? Or do I have the bubbles reach the openning? I ask because if I place the cup so the bubbles reach the openning (and it doesnt appear to be overflowing) I end up with a full cup of water (up the the cylinder openning) within a short time. I've tried to find a medium point but I either get the bubbles raising about an inch short or flowing over.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The lower the cup the wetter the skimmate. You should aim for a mid point with the bubbles about an inch below the top of the opening....the skimmate will get pushed up and out in a greasy stinky gooey mess..... and then you will know it is doing it's job. It takes a bit to break in and to get it where you want. I too have an urchin and sometimes I want wetter heavier skimming than other times. You will get the hang of the sweet spot....and the skimmate should look like tea water....sith scum in the column......