Aquaclear 402 Powerheads question

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Did anyone bought those powerheads ? I have 2 now and i'm not supposed to put them very deep . They're very powerfull but i wanna have one completely underwater where it's needed...at the top, there is already the skimmer and a filter creating a lot of water movement. Did someone tried to submerge one successfully for a long time ?

Is the warning on it just for scaring me ;-) ?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
powerheads are designed to be submerged...they can be run out of the water...but for cooling purposes, etc it is really best that they are underwater. where did you read not to put them under water?

TurbineSurgeon

Superstar Fish
Feb 27, 2004
Dallas, TX
Visit site
I have a 402 and I just read the instructions, which is something I rarely do. Nowhere could I find anything against placing it underwater. In fact, the closest I could find was the warning to never let it run dry. I was using my 402 fully submersed for about 4 months with no apparent problems.

I have also used Aquarium Systems Maxi-Jet and Otto powerheads completely submerged in saltwater for several years with no problems whatsoever.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i always submerse mine...i have an 802 as well and i use it to drain and refill the sump in my 55 for water changes. how do you use it if it isnt underwater (im assuming you aren't running a ugf) b/c the pickup at a minimum would need to be submerged

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
thats so odd...looking at mine i see nothing to indicate that it cannot be used submerged...just a thought though, if you wanted to keep it partially out of the water...you could get some pipe and make an attachment to lower the output...it wont be pretty, but if its in the back of your tank behind the live rock it shouldnt be a problem

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
lol...i really dont think mine had one...........there isnt that gooeyness or anything

well, anyway...i guess its up to you then...it probably voids the warranty or something but most of us havent had a problem

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Well...i'm not using them as a hairdryer ;-) or as a fan.
The first one is 95 % underwater...only the top is not submerged where the water line is, and the other one is completely submerged now. It's been 2 days and no problems...so i guess it's ok.

Now i'm on my way to the LFS 'cause they sold me a heater with a broken knob...

Just stumbled into this thread and thought i'd throw in my two cents.

I guess mine must be the "newer type" cause it does have the sticker which made me paranoid as well. I don't know.. just something about dropping a 120 volt appliance into water that stayed me. :D

But in all seriousness, I was considering it until I accidentally dropped it on the floor (yes I am a klutz). Upon close inspection I observed a break in the motor housing seal that would most certainly leak.

Anyway, that would certainly account for the disclaming sticker (washing hagen's hands of possible problems).

But it seems to me, all I need is some aquarium safe silicone to seal it back up... and perhaps a dollop where the cord meets the motor.. for the paranoid in me, and it should be fine for submersion.

With too much time on my hands, i've done up a picture for your viewing pleasure. *celebrate

Attachments